The Early Years
The name Myers first became associated with automotive retailing and service in Ottawa in 1942. At the time Gordon
Myers established Myers Motors as the successor dealership to Pinks Limited which was the original General Motors
Dealership in Ottawa. Since that time Myers has had four owners. Bob Moore followed Gordon Myers in 1954 and Neil
McDonald took over from Bob in 1959. Hank Mews, the current owner, replaced Neil in 1975.
In the beginning, Myers was located on Slater Street in downtown Ottawa. In 1959 a move was made to what was then
considered to be suburban Ottawa, on Elgin Street near to where the Queensway was soon to be built. Today Ottawa's
main Police Station is situated on that property. In November 1971 Myers moved to its present location on Baseline
at Merivale. Back then we had just over four acres and our building was approximately 35,000 square feet. All
departments were housed under one roof. Between 1984 and 1986 a major expansion program was undertaken. Four acres
of land were purchased on Sunderland Street just off Merivale, three miles south of Baseline, and a modern 32 bay,
17,000 square foot Body and Paint Center was built. Once the new Body and Paint Center was built, our main building
was altered to provide 49 mechanical service bays. Then a 17,000 square foot addition was constructed that contains
on the main floor our customer service and reception drive and on the second floor a customer lounge and eating
facilities for our customers and staff, as well as all of our administration offices. Over the years we were able to
purchase additional property to the west of our main building which enabled us to erect a building to house our Used
Car Department. In total, today we have approximately 70,000 square feet under roof and over 10 acres of property.
Myers has earned an enviable reputation for volume sales and very high levels of customer satisfaction. We are proud
to be recognized as one of Canada's outstanding General Motors Dealerships. Our people have made this possible
through their understanding of and devotion to providing value-added service to our customers.
Our President, Hank Mews, joined Myers in February, 1971, as General Manager. Hank was born and grew up in St.
John's Newfoundland and after graduating from high school, his first job was as a salesperson with a Ford dealership
in St. John's. From there, being uncertain about what career path to follow, Hank moved to Mainland Canada and over
the next few years he tried his hand as a commercial pilot, as a life insurance salesperson and finally in a Toronto
In early 1962, Hank joined General Motors and for the next five years worked in Toronto and the Maritimes as a
District Sales Manager, before returning to the Ford Dealership in St. John's as General Manager in 1967.
In 1969, Hank had the opportunity to become the owner of that dealership but opted to return to Toronto and search
for a dealership elsewhere in Canada hoping to become a General Motors Dealer. After a short stint as General Sales
Manager of a Chevrolet Dealership in Toronto, the Ford Motor Company convinced Hank to join them to manage Ford
owned dealerships that had a history of failure. During the next two years he operated Ford Dealerships in Toronto,
Montreal and Moncton. Finally in December 1970, General Motors initiated discussion between Hank and Neil McDonald
which resulted in Hank joining Myers in February 1971 as General Manager with the intention of purchasing the
company. This was accomplished in July 1975.
During the early years at Baseline and Merivale it was necessary to increase the ownership base by aggressively
working to sell more vehicles. While this of course will always be important, by the mid 1970's the company
recognized that long term success would be dependent on providing our customer with good service. As a result, from
that time forward we have concentrated much of our resources, both financial and human, to building a reputation
within the company of being competent, caring and trustworthy. This philosophy has served Myers well. Our Service,
Parts and Body and Paint departments have flourished, we have an ever growing base of repeat customers and are
recognized by General Motors as being one of Canada's most outstanding Dealerships.
Ours is a very competitive industry. Since 1971 the number of dealerships in the market place has more than doubled.
The public have more to choose from and are rightfully asking for full value in return for their business. We must
always remember that service is our product. By making it truly a pleasure to do business with Myers, we can be
confident that Myers will continue to be successful throughout the years ahead.
The Growth of the Myers Automotive Group
and Merivale Road and the Body and Paint Centre on Sunderland Street, now called Myers CarStar, both doing well
and attracting customers from across the Ottawa area, it was time to grow to reach all ends of the city and as
many customers as possible.
Chev Buick GMC is one of Myers' four current GM dealerships and is located at 1875 St. Joseph Blvd. in the east
end of Ottawa.
Automotive Group in 2003. The dealership was the third GM dealership for the Myers Automotive Group at the time
and is still located in its original location at 200-2500 Palladium Drive in the Palladium Auto Park in the west
end of Ottawa.
With three GM locations now in the Ottawa area, located to reach the East, West and Centrally located customers,
the Myers Automotive Group began looking at expanding the brands they sell.
Four new import stores were then introduced to the Myers Automotive Group.
Road in the west end of Ottawa in Bells Corners. A new building to house the dealership is currently being built
as the Myers Hyundai store will be moving to Strandherd Drive in Barrhaven.
German brand's dealership at 501-2500 Palladium Drive in Kanata, in the Palladium Auto Park where Myers Kanata
Chev Buick GMC was also located.
another Hyundai location. Myers Kanata Hyundai opened its doors at 400-2500 Palladium Drive in the Palladium
Auto Park. This was the third Myers dealership in the Palladium Auto Park, and all three dealerships still
remain in their original places, solidifying the Myers Automotive Group as a key player in the automotive market
in the west end of Ottawa.
Ottawa, which is still located at 1452 Youville Drive in Orléans.
With Myers dealerships located across the greater Ottawa area, the need to establish a Myers location in the
south end of the Ottawa region became apparent with the number of customers making the drive to our other
dealerships for their vehicle purchases and servicing. Seeking a solution for these customers, Myers expanded
Group. Located at 104 Elvira Street, in the town of Kemptville, the dealership is just a short drive from the
southernmost limits of the City of Ottawa. This location also serves a wide area outside of the Kemptville
region including such towns and villages as Cornwall, Smiths Falls, Winchester, Osgoode, and many others in
between and beyond.
Not wanting to miss an opportunity to expand both locations and brands sold, Myers jumped at the chance to
acquire two established dealerships, The Myers Automotive Group welcomed Myers Nissan and Myers Infiniti
to the Myers family and opened its second Nissan dealership as well as its first Infiniti location in September
of 2014. Both dealerships are located at 2185 Robertson Road in Bells Corners.
rolling off the lot at Myers Barrhaven Toyota. This newly built dealership, and the first Toyota
dealership for the Myers Automotive Group, is located at 4123 Strandherd Drive in Barrhaven and is a quick two
minute drive from the Fallowfield Road exit off Hwy 416.
opened in October 2016. The acquired dealership, formerly known as Celebrity Chrysler, is located at 5791 Prince
of Wales Drive near the village of Manotick in the south end of Ottawa and adds four new brands to the Myers
Automotive Group lineup.